Toktogul HPP Rehabilitation (Phase II) in Kyrgyz Republic
On 3 July 2015, the EFSD Council decided to provide an investment loan to the Kyrgyz Republic to finance the “Energy sector rehabilitation. Phase 2. Component “Toktogul HPP Rehabilitation: the replacement of Units 2 and 4, including the replacement and repair of auxiliary systems and plant equipment” Project in the amount of US $100 million.
The EFSD Resources Manager and the Kyrgyz Republic signed the loan agreement on July 31, 2015.
The project envisages the replacement of Units 2 and 4, including the replacement and repair of auxiliary systems and plant equipment, of the Toktogul HPP in the Kyrgyz Republic. Toktogul HPP is the largest hydropower plant in the country and is part of the Toktogul cascade of hydroelectric power stations.
The Energy Sector Rehabilitation project is divided into 3 phases. The first phase of Toktogul HPP rehabilitation project, currently financed by ADB, involves the replacement of the electrical mechanical equipment of the plant, including the replacement of generator circuit-breakers, exciter and regulation systems, 500 kW cable lines etc. The second phase of the rehabilitation involves the replacement of the second and fourth turbine-generator units with replacement/rehabilitation of auxiliary systems and powerhouse equipment. The third phase covers the replacement of the first and third turbine-generator units.
Expected outcomes of the project implementation:
- Increase of Toktogul HPP capacity by 90 MW;
- Improvement of Toktogul HPP continuous operation time from 80% to 90%;
- Improvement of the economic security and independence of the country from electricity imports;
- Reduction of acute winter electricity shortages in the country;
- Improvement of reliable and sustainable power supply to consumers;
- Growth of the export potential of the Kyrgyz Republic through exports of excess electricity to the EFSD member states, improvement of the balance of payment of the Kyrgyz Republic.